Sunday, October 4, 2009

Cell phone ban coming to Ontario roads

A cell phone ban is coming to Ontario later on this month.  It is long over due.  For many years we've seen an increase in cell phone carrying drivers with little regard to the effect it has had on distracted driving.

I was driving behind somone the other day going 90 km/h in the left (aka passing) lane.  Needless to say, he wasn't passing anyone.  Then he started swerving in and out of the lane, crossing over to the middle lane then correcting his vehicle... My first impression was 'dude must be drunk...'  Then I realized it was 11 am.

When I finally passed him, I noticed that he was totally engulfed in a phone conversation and was totally oblivious to the motorists that were going insane driving behind him... I think every person that drives in Ontario should have a cell phone, I just don't think they should be using it while they are driving.

What happens when driving is your job?  You need to call the office and get instructions and usually you're on a tight schedule.  Transportation providers are going to need a new more effective system.

For over a year we have implemented a few changes that have resulted in significantly less cell phone airtime for our drivers.




2 Way Radio

A lot of our contact with our drivers used to be phone calls under 20 seconds in length.  Short phone calls such as 'What is your exact location? / I have dropped off the passenger' etc. are the norm.  It is not a cheap proposition at the end of the month because of cell phone providers charging by the minute.

All of our drivers now carry a cell phone that is equipped with 2 way radio for quick conversations.

Text Message / Email Dispatch


All calls are now dispatched via text or email to the drivers phone.  Drivers no longer need to try to memorize addresses or write down instructions while driving.  We can dispatch the order and they can check whenever they have safely pulled over.

GPS Tracking

I was very hesitant in getting a GPS system for our vehicles.  I thought it was too expensive an option to undertake during an economic downturn, but I have been very happy with the results.  I no longer have to continually check in with drivers to find out locations.  I can view all our vehicles in real time on my desktop.  This has eliminated hundreds of short phone calls to find out drivers locations.  

GPS tracking has also helped in monitoring our drivers habits.  I know how fast they were driving at any given time and how long the car was just idling (wasting gas and adversely affecting the environment.)


Implementing these 3 steps to your fleet should help you in becoming more effective in curbing distracted drivers.


For everyone else that doesn't have a driving job - talking on your cell is a distraction.

You need to focus on the task at hand. Share the road responsibly.


M&M Limousine (Oakville - Toronto - Brampton)

No comments:

Post a Comment